Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Swimming and biking and running oh my!

As many of my friends know, I have signed up for my first triathlon for this summer... and my second, in June and August. I want to keep track of my progress on this blog so when I hit significant milestones I will write about them. For this training I will need a lot of self discipline, I will need to be feeding myself the right kinds of nutrients, training the right way in the swim, bike and run, and will need support from friends and family. I am registered for two sprint triathlons each with around a .8 K open water swim, 20K bike and 6.7K run. That will require a lot of endurance training that I haven't done in a long time.

My actual training schedule is about 9 weeks long but for the next few weeks I need to prep myself, making sure I have all the right gear for training, the nutritional supplements to support the rigors of training, and regularized workout habits to get me through it. Hydration, endurance fuel, and smart injury free training will be key. I came across a great link the other day for a website for vegetarian endurance athletes called http://www.www.nomeatathlete.com.com/ and am finding it a great resource especially when looking at the best foods for pre and post workouts and the benefits of a vegetarian/vegan diet in endurance training.

I will have to balance training with my end of the year exams and research papers for school, and then my summer internship, requiring tons of self-discipline and regulated training. I am really excited about this endeavor and to have these goals set up to try to achieve!

No comments:

Post a Comment